Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe in early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg. Wine is the standard base for Absinthe but a majority of distillers use other sorts of alcohol.
If you search for Absinthe recipes online, you will see that most of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor such as Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How can you Make Absinthe at home?
Although some recipes online are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without having a license is prohibited in lots of countries and you also need the right equipment and you need to find out what you are doing. So, are there any other strategies to making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This usually involves steeping herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a few days or perhaps a couple of weeks within the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Only distillation will provide you with a true Absinthe, this will just present you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Many of the kits available online, just like the ones from Green Devil, are simply steeping kits. They’re easier than obtaining and preparing your own personal herbs but you are merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and making a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a less difficult and much better method to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com develop essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are made by distilling traditional Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is completed for you and all you need to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a genuine Absinthe drink.
The essences come in four different varieties:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a vintage “verte” Absinthe which has a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to create a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This also has a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to make Absinthe with a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe having a natural orange flavor and a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence is likely to make an Absinthe with a higher thujone content (55mg) and also a more bitter wormwood taste.
You can purchase a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to create one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or buy a kit for $29 to create 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit includes a handy plastic gauge and 14 creative bottle labels. All you have to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Just remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe is determined by your alcohol base. Be careful, drink Absinthe moderately since it is a substantially tougher beverage than other spirits and fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or a neutral alcohol which lacks a strong taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.