Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe in the early 19th century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg absinthe online. Wine is the conventional base for Absinthe but a majority of distillers use other sorts of alcohol.
If you search for Absinthe recipes online, you will find that a lot of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor just like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How can you Create Absinthe at home?
Even though some recipes on the internet are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor with no license is illegal in several countries and you also require the right equipment and you need to know what you are doing. So, are there any other strategies to making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This usually involves steeping herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a while or even a couple of weeks inside the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Only distillation will give you a true Absinthe, this will just give you an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Almost all of the kits available on the web, like the ones from Green Devil, are only steeping kits. They’re easier than finding and preparing your own herbs but you’re merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and coming up with a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a less difficult and much better method to make Absinthe in your own home. AbsintheKit.com produce essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are made by distilling conventional Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is done for you and all you have to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a genuine Absinthe drink.
The essences are available in four different kinds:-
– Classic Green Essence to produce a traditional “verte” Absinthe having a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to produce a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This actually also includes a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to make Absinthe having a twist. This essence could make a yellow-orange colored Absinthe having a natural orange flavor as well as a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence will make an Absinthe having a higher thujone content (55mg) and a more bitter wormwood flavor.
You can buy a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to produce one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or purchase a kit for $29 to produce 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit comes with a handy plastic measure and 14 creative bottle labels. All you have to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Bare in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe will depend on your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe moderately because it’s a much more powerful beverage than other spirits and fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or a neutral alcohol which doesn’t have a strong taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.